· Minimum of university BA degree in education with course work in special education.
· Experience working with students with learning differences or special needs.
· A passion for working and helping children that face learning challenges at school.
· Believe that all children can learn, just in different ways.
To provide support to students in the middle school that have been identified with learning differences and disabilities, as well as provide assistance to middle school faculty by helping them reach all learners.
● Work within the framework of our Mission and Profile of the Graduate
● Maintain open communication, including sharing student data, with the MS principal and counselor, and parents and teachers when appropriate
● Participate in transition meetings and activities with the middle and high school programs (grade 4 to 5 and 8 to 9), and school-sponsored and community-based programs to insure smooth transitions for children and their families.
● Maintain a collaborative and communicative relationship with office staff (i.e. scheduling, filing documentation in student cumulative files, scheduling meetings, translation of documents).
● When appropriate provide teaching support within classrooms and pull out students for assessments.
● Implement middle school support classes after school as well as during elective periods (Boost and supervised homework).
● Lead middle school and community professional learning and discussions regarding school-based services for students.
● Plan and run grade level team meetings to ensure open communication among teachers and other staff about students with learning differences and disabilities and use teacher input to individualize services.
● Promote parent involvement at home and in the learning environment.
● Work with school counselors and other PLC teachers in creating Student Learning Profiles (SLPs) and maintaining other documentation for students using support services.
● Implement, organize, coordinate, and follow up with referral processes and documentation
● Coordinate outside services provided during the school day (tutors, learning coaches) in the areas of communication, meetings, responsibilities, documentation, MEP requirements, internal/external services, among others.